Frequently Asked Questions
I want to change the display language of the DICE website.( English -> Japanese)You can change the display language by changing the language setting of your browser to "Japanese ".
Is there a charge for using each service?It is available free of charge except for some services.
Where can I login from?Please use the login button shown for each service.
I cannot log in to the servise.In DICE, some services log in with a common account, others log in with a service-specific account. Please check if the service you use and the login account match.
I did not receive a confirmation e-mail for my user registration.
Your Internet provider or email service may be blocking your email. Please check your email settings or change your e-mail address for user registering. Please also check the folder where spam is sorted.
Otherwise, it is possible that you have already created a DICE account. Please try resetting your password and see if you receive an authentication code for password reset. [Password Reset]
I cannot log in.
The following possibilities are considered.
● On January 17, 2023, the user registration and authentication system was renewed. You will not be able to log in with the user information registered before that date. We apologize for the inconvenience and ask you to register your DICE account again. [DICE Account Registration]
● If you make a mistake with your password several times in a row, your account will be locked. Once your account is locked, you will not be able to log in for 30 minutes. Please try to log in again after the lock is removed.
I forgot my password.
A password reset email will be sent to your registered email address. Please follow the instructions below.
I did not receive an email invitation to reset my password.
The following possibilities are considered.
● On January 17, 2023, the user registration and authentication system was renewed. NO password reset notification e-mails will be sent for user information (e-mail addresses) registered before that date. We apologize for the inconvenience and ask you to register your DICE account again. [DICE Account Registration]
● There is a possibility that you did not receive the e-mail message because it is not the e-mail address you registered with DICE account. Please check your registered e-mail address and reset your password again.
● Your Internet provider or email service may be blocking your email. Please contact us using [Contact Form].
Please also check the folder where spam is sorted.
I cannot reset my password. / When I reset my password, the message "SSP-IDM-3012 04 Account failure" is displayed.
● If you make a mistake with your password several times in a row, your account will be locked. You cannot reset your password while your account is locked (30 minutes). Please wait for 30 minutes before trying to reset your password.
● The e-mail address you enter when resetting your password must be the exact e-mail address you registered as your user ID. It is case sensitive.
Can I confirm or change my registration?
How can I modify my E-mail address?
When I log in a service, the message "Not authorized" or "XXX (service name) is not available" is displayed.You need to apply for the relevant service. Please select the service from the Data Services tab and confirm the application procedure.
I cannot apply to use the DICE application.
The following possibilities are considered.
・If you are using a smartphone (iOS Android, etc.), please try using a computer browser.
・If you are using the automatic translation function enabled, please disable it.
・There is a possibility that an operation error has occurred in your browser. Please try logging in again using the incognito window of your browser.
My identity verification fails.
Identity verification fails if the information on the personal identification document submitted differs from the entered information.
Please check that your personal identification document is not damaged and all information is readable (identity verification fails if the document is partially missing, worn, or damaged).
Screen shot photos (screen captures) are not accepted.
Please make sure that all the information contained in your personal identification document can be clearly read by our Institute’s representative in charge of identity verification.
Identity verification may fail because of the reasons shown below.
- My Number (1 digit or a part of My Number) is included in the image.
- The QR code on the backside of the My Number Card is included in the image.
- The documents submitted cannot be accepted as personal identification documents.
* Acceptable documents:
- Passport of Japan (photo page)
- Driver’s license of Japan
- Front side of the individual number card (My Number Card) of Japan
- Basic Resident Register Card of Japan (limited to such card with face photo)
- Residence Card of Japan
- Driving Record Certificate of Japan
- Special Permanent Resident Certificate of Japan
- Passport from overseas (photo page) * Limited to passports with descriptions in English.
* Student IDs and employee IDs are not acceptable as personal identification documents.
- Images on the personal identification document have poor accuracy and the printed characters cannot be read at all.
- Screen shot of the personal identification document is taken.
- A screen of a PC or smartphone on which the personal identification document is displayed is photographed.
- A monitor screen on which the personal identification document is shown is photographed.
- Not all of the printed characters are shown due to obstruction by fingers or reflection of light.
- The printed portions, or descriptions on the back side, of the personal identification document are traced.
- Letters are added by handwriting to the printed portions, or descriptions on the back side, of the personal identification document.
- Two photos have been processed into one photo.
- An image data on the personal identification document has been processed.
- A forged personal identification document is photographed.
- The validity period of the personal identification document has expired at the time of the examination.
- There is no statement about the issuer.
- “Tepra” tape, seal/label, paper, correction liquid, or correction tape, etc., are placed on the personal identification document.
- “Tepra” tape, seal/label, paper, correction liquid, or correction tape, etc., are placed on the personal identification document, and handwritten address, etc., is written on them.
♦ Selfies (self-shot images)
- Three parts, namely eyes, nose and mouth of a person, are not shown.
- The face of a person is hidden by sunglasses, hat/cap, and the like.
- The face of a person in the selfie photo does not coincide with the face photo on the personal identification document.
- Non-human object is photographed.
- Insufficient proof that the photo of a person was taken on the spot.
♦ Identity verification
- Notations in Japanese hiragana, Japanese katakana, and the Latin alphabet in the personal identification document differ.
- A middle name that is not included in the personal identification document is added.
- The traditional Chinese and the simplified Chinese in the personal identification document differ.
- It cannot be determined whether the reading of the Korean or Chinese name in the personal identification document is correct (if you are Korean or Chinese, please enter your name using the Latin alphabet.)
After the document is photographed, please check whether the information can be read.
Further, please check that the name and the date of birth shown on the identification card match the information entered in the previous screen.
If you are uncertain about the quality of the photo, please take a new photo before sending.
NIMS Materials Database (MatNavi)
I want to use MatNavi.
The use of MatNavi is free. (Free of charge). "DICE account user registration" and "MatNavi usage application" are required. [For New User]
When I log in a database, the message "Not authorized" or "XXX (database name) is not available" is displayed.
What are the system requirements for MatNavi?
The operation of MatNavi has been confirmed in the following environments:
Browser: Microsoft Edge, Google Chrome, Firefox
How do I log out?
Please close your browser.
If you have multiple pages open, you will need to close all of them in order to log out.
How do I cite data from MatNavi?
When you use data from MatNavi or report a research result obtained by the use of MatNavi in your publication, please indicate explicitly in the following format.
Database name, URL of the database page used, date of access [YYYY-MM-DD]
Ex) Polymer Database, http://polymer.nims.go.jp/PoLyInfo/xxxxx, [accessed 2020-05-15]
Journal paper: author's name, paper title, journal name, year, volume, issue, page, database name
Dissertation: author's name, dissertation title, affiliation, year, database name
Book: author's name, book title, publisher, year, database name
Can I download all data or get by using API?We do not provide data download function or API function.
Materials Data Repository (MDR)
My web browser showed a blank page when browsing through MDR.
MDR may show a blank page when viewing many pages repeatedly. If that happens, please wait for a few seconds and reload the page to resume browsing.